I was nominated for a Liebster award from a friend and fellow blogger. She is smart, wise, and fun and she has a unique writing style I’ve much enjoyed. You can find her blog here: http://littlegrowingpains.com/ I am honored she selected me for this. I don’t really write for recognition though it’s nice when someone tells you they like your style. I write to heal, a place where maybe my past, my horror may been seen, shared and heard. I write in the hopes to touch lives and perhaps find a meaning in pain and a path to peace.
I am still honored and humbled to be nominated and thank you Gwen (Little Growing Pains) for the nomination.
1. If you could insert yourself (as yourself) into any literary world of your choosing, what would it be? Avatar because I feel most at one with nature.
2. Coffee or tea? Soda but if it must be coffee or tea then Tea as long as it’s hot. Tea has more flavor choices.
3. What is the WORST piece of advice you’ve ever been given? “toughen up and get over it” Sometimes tears are all we have to express how deeply we are wounded or moved. Tear can water your soul and there is nothing wrong with them.
4. Crumple or fold? Fold everything has to be neat!
5. If we were to go on a date (hypothetically), where would you take me and why? You are a lady of distinction and taste I would pack a picnic and the surf boards and take you to the beach, teach you to surf and enjoy a quiet meal and good conversation with you. Why? Because surfing is fun and I’d want to share that with you and the beach is a great place to sit and talk I like to know who I am taking out.
6. If you could go back in time ten years and tell yourself one thing, what would it be? Get back to god NOW!
7. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Black Raspberry
8. What kind of toothpaste do you use? Crest Total
9. Above all else, what are you afraid of? Meeting new male people.
10. So far, what has been your favorite age to be and why? Thirteen, I had not lost my innocence yet and that summer I spent so much time with my father, Martin and Angie at the batting cages, fishing, hunting, hiking and camping. I wish that summer never had to end. Many of my best memories are or the summer I turned 13.
11. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? Raise a billion dollars to build shelters for victims of abuse, a place where they are safe and feel loved and comforted. A place for them to cry and heal away from those who would say “toughen up”, “stop being a baby”, “It’s not that bad”, and other non-productive advice. I would be sure my shelters didn’t give advice unless asked instead the staff would listen with their hearts and not their ears. Comfort with love not useless advice. Heal with tears, grace, love and strength. Yeah I’d raise a billion dollars for that.
Gwen’s Movie Free-Association:
1. Drama: Schindler’s List (It restores my faith that mankind is capable of more than evil but of great good)
2. Comedy: Groundhog Day or Strips
3. Romantic Comedy: 50 First Dates (Persistence wins in the end and you can love someone for who they are)
4. Romantic Drama: When Harry meet Sally
5. Epic: Avatar (It showed the two sides of humanity, evil and love. A desperate struggle to do the right thing and being willing to give up everything to fight man kinds evil with his good.)
6. Animated: Lion King (A fathers love is endless!)
7. Biopic: 42 (Jackie Robinson is a true American hero)
8. Historical: Flags of our Fathers
9. Sci-Fi: Total Recall or Serenity (Toss up here)
10. Foreign: Hero
11. Mystery: Se7en
Now, here are 11 facts about me, in case you haven’t learned enough already.
1. I am deaf since birth
2. Recently I got cochlear implants and have been learning to hear.
3. I was a stripper for 4 ½ years in college to pay the bills.
4. I eat like a horse but my metabolism is so high I suffer from being low weight. So much so doctors monitor my weigh and if I lose even a few pounds they hospitalize me. At 5’8″ and 118-120 lbs and the doctors say I should be more like 132-135.
5. I am a survivor of a brutal beating and gang rape.
6. I work in I.T. Security now.
7. I surf and in surfing find peace.
8. My right cheek is more plastic than bone after my cheek was shattered.
9. I tried and nearly succeeded in playing god when I tried to end my mortal existence early.
10. I attended a normal hearing college and graduated an “A” student without special support.
11. I am deathly afraid of men especially stranger, their touch sends me running. Even the touch of my father I flinch and meeting new men makes me so anxious I vomit and become physically ill.
And now, without further ado, my nominees!
1. TJ at http://darkrealitycom.wordpress.com/ (A blog about geekdome and obsessions)
2. Secret at http://secretangelps911.wordpress.com/ (a blog about recovering from abuse)
3. Kait at http://weatheringthestormbp.com/ (A blog tackling mental health with class and compassion)
4. Kendall at http://thepublicblogger.com/ (A blog that tackles issues including race thoughtfully. I love visiting and look forward to his ne posts.)
5. Urbanwallet at http://urbanwallart.wordpress.com/ (artistic and just cool)
6. Dmwlewis at http://dmwlewis.wordpress.com/ (poetry DEEP poetry)
7. Russell at http://theverybesttop10.com/ (Mostly just because it’s fun and he makes me smile)
8. Dennis at http://gottafindahome.wordpress.com/ (A blog about the plight of the homeless, this guy has a huge heart and a noble goal to help others understand homelessness in a caring and touching way. He also has a poetry blog with some great work here: http://dcardiff.wordpress.com/ both blogs are good but I am a ravenous reader of gottafindahome!)
9. Dave at http://daveknickerbocker.wordpress.com/ (Though provoking Christian oriented viewpoints. He is unafraid to put himself out there!)
10. Adoptingjames at http://adoptingjames.wordpress.com/ (I just like his blog and he is going to be such a great daddy!)
11. Dan at http://danledwith.wordpress.com/ (He is a Christian pastor and absolutely wonderful person, and yet another great daddy. Ask his daughters he is “the best dad ever” While I might dispute that claim as my dad is pretty fabulous himself his love of his family, his god, his church and mankind shows in everything he does!)
Participation in this is totally, 100% optional. If you don’t want to play, don’t. I will still love all of you and read your blogs religiously. But if you do, the rules are: include the award photo in your post, answer the eleven questions I ask you, share eleven other facts about yourself, nominate eleven bloggers for the award, and give them eleven questions to answer. Rinse and repeat.
1. If money was no object where would you retire and why?
2. Jam or Jelly and why?
3. If you could give one moral advice to the kids today what would it be?
4. If you could be any inanimate object what would it be and why?
5. What is the most bizarre food you ever sampled?
6. The most beautiful feature on your mate or your current mate and why?
7. Favorite pie?
8. Biggest regret in life?
9. One thing you always wanted to say to someone who has passed away but never got the chance to tell them?
10. Favorite car/truck model and why?
11. Your most sincere wish for your future?
Congratulations to all the nominees. I read so many talented bloggers and it was hard to choose just 11. Hugs to all and thank you again Gwen for your words and your nomination. It does mean a lot to know people read and perhaps heal or understand or even enjoy some of it.